Men of the Dutch Coast Guard lost their lives during rescue operations in 1921 and 1929. Names of the fallen heroes of the sea are engraved on the pedestal of this monument. On 16 January 1931 the statue was unveiled by Rypperda Wierdsma, from the Zuid Hollandse Redding Maatschappij. In 1952 another rescuer lost his life during a rescue operation. His name has been engraved on the pedestal. The statue was made by Elisa de Ridder van Mastrigt. She trained at the Academy of Visual Arts in The Hague.